Monday, July 18, 2011

The perfect picnic

We are a picnic-ing type of family. I love carrying the old fashioned-ish basket (i got at target last year for 14.00), the lovingly making sandwiches and wrapping them all pretty with parchment paper and scrap ribbon. Laying out our blanket in the "perfect" spot scouted out by the 4 of us and lifting off the lid to reveal what goodies Momma packed this time. We laugh and talk about clouds, and birds, and enjoy the sights and sounds of everything going on around us all while savouring our delicious lunch.
Photobucket


Photobucket


So now, lets disclose how this really goes..."I don't want to sit in the grass, there are bugs that will crawl on me!" "it's Hot!".

Photobucket



Sand from the baby's shoes spilled all over our lunch and cracking your teeth on grainy bits while trying to enjoy your sandwich. Some may of fallen in the potato salad and I assured the girls it was just pepper.

The littlest deciding the strawberry container would be much cuter as a hat and dumping the best red juicy ones all over the ground.

Photobucket


Then flinging potato salad at the birds because she saw Mommy feeding them our cast off crust left from our pb&J's.

Trying to balance a picnic basket, a push car, and a toddler and,giving myself a huge hickey like bruise from first attempting to carry the basket in the crook of my arm. Comical I tell ya!


Photobucket


But,all in all...I still call it a success. When it's all said and done, they have a blast. It's worth the humorous mishaps to create memories for my girls. To see their excited faces and know that Mom is not "to cool" to turn on the cheese whiz.

Photobucket


I was inspired to picnic from this post I read last year. Although we had done it zillions of times before, her words really spoke to me. Her blog is my absolute favorite to read. I get her mothering. I relate to her desire to make memories for her girls, and her glass half full personality inspires me everyday.

oh and ps. This is the only acceptable way to eat Gogurt...with a straw. No mess! Amen to that!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment