Monday, October 24, 2011

Hiatus

A two week hiatus…I know. I’ve been busy writing life stories. We are high on fall right now. Never mind the fact that we’ve been able to wear a long sleeve shirt and jeans only twice in the last 2 months (and that is over zealous). We had a list that needed crossing off, so we’ve been making fall memories and starting new traditions.

I love this time of year. It’s the time of yummy smells and deep rich color, flickering pumpkins and the sound of crunching leaves under your feet. There are only a couple months in the year when a simmering pot of savory soup on the stove is welcomed by babies bundled up in blankets wearing footed pajamas. It’s heaven, and it feels like the kind of home I want my girls to remember when they are all grown up.

We braved the heat, and took the kids to the Elgin Pumpkin Fest last week. It's a quaint little farm with a hay ride,corn maze,homemade food, and of course pumpkins. I wore an orange summer scarf to pretend it was fall, and only in Texas is a tank top and flip flops appropriate attire for October.We were on the brink of a heat stroke about an hour in, but fun overshadowed the uncomfortableness. They had a ball!


Photobucket



I've also been enjoying creating fun Halloween themed lunches for the girls the past week. My friend Keitha is amazing at food art. She reads her son a book every night and creates a complementing lunch every morning. It looked so fun so I went out and bought a few supplies, and I can't believe I've waited so long to try it myself. Keitha you rock!!

Photobucket



This weekend was our first annual pumpkin decorating party. It was so fun to have all our neighbors and family over for some good old fashioned fall fun! I set out glitter, rhinestones, paint, and carving tools, and everyone went to town. I thoroughly enjoy creating opportunities for neighbor camaraderie. We have also started "booing" in our neighborhood (ding dong ditching and leaving anonymous gifts to be paid forward to our other neighbors) the girls are lovin' it!


Photobucket


I've realized that if you want to create a fun neighborhood, you just have to get the ball rolling. Play in your front yard. Talk to your neighbors. When someone new moves in don't pretend they don't exsist...go meet them. Be cheesy/stepford wife-ish and bring them cookies. We've lost that old fashioned charm in neighborhoods these days. Our neighbors hardly do anything in our backyards anymore. We are fabulously vintage.

Happy Halloween....early.

No comments:

Post a Comment